Mama Del’s Duck
Courtesy of Dave Stanley
This recipe works equally well with ducks and smaller geese (specks and snows especially)
- Remove breast fillets from the breastbone of the ducks or geese. Remove any fat from the fillets. Take a breast and split it length wise (on the side that was against the bone) with a sharp knife. DO NOT cut it in half. The split will hold other ingredients.
- Put a fresh sage leaf in the split.
- Cut a piece of fontina cheese (or some other cheese you like) approx. the length of the split. Wrap the cheese in a piece of sliced prosciutto and put this in the split on top of the sage.
- Use 3 or 4 toothpicks to hold the prosciutto and cheese in place. Stick them through the duck, into the prosciutto and cheese and back out through the duck.
- Dribble olive oil on the breasts and season with Montreal Steak seasoning.
- Cook on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. If you cook the side with the toothpicks first, all the cheese will not be as likely to drip down into your grill. When you take them off the grill, they will continue to cook for a few minutes. You want them rare when they come off the grill so that they do not overcook and dry out. Remove toothpicks before eating. ENJOY!!!!!
The Best Goose Pot Stickers
Courtesy of Kristy Crabtree from Nevadafoodies.com
- 2 Goose Breasts chopped in 1 inch cubes
- 8oz can Water Chestnuts
- 8oz can Bamboo Shoots
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 package round pot sticker/dumpling wrappers
- 1 cup water
- Add top 10 ingredients to food processor and pulse until a fine stuffing is formed.
- Remove 1 pot sticker wrapper from the package and cover the others with a damp cloth. Place a small rounded teaspoon of the mixture in the center of the wrapper. Moisten the edge of the wrap and fold wrap in half over filling to form a semi-circle. Starting at one end, pinch the edges closed with your thumb and finger (similar to pinching the edges of a pie crust). Set on a sheet pan and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat this process until all of the filling is gone.
- Heat a large non stick pan over medium-heat and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to pan. Add 8 to 10 goose pot stickers at a time to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on one side. Turn pot stickers over and slowly add 1/4 cup chicken stock to the pan, cover and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove pot stickers to a cookie sheet and place in the warm oven. Repeat until all the pot stickers are cooked.
Elk Backstrap Tacos with Corn Salsa
Please visit Nevadafoodies.com for this recipe and others.
Check out Episode – “Make It Rain” Trailer Video